A Dragon Sock Puppet For The Chinese New Year – A Kid Friendly Thing To Do
This is my tribute to the Chinese New Year! The Year of The Dragon!
So, I have been preparing all of these Valentine treats to share with you, and somehow let the Chinese New Year pass by! Kids love sock puppets, and a dragon’s body definitely resembles a sock. This is really easy, and fun. Just print off the template from the link below, and follow the instructions!
Come back here for pictures, and ideas for embellishments. ( I can’t leave it simple. I drive myself crazy!) Also, I will post step by step pictures of what the link is trying to explain. Some of the instructions were hard to understand. Like, the placement of the sock.
Here is the link, for the template:
go to http://www.swazzle.com/pdfs/dragonsockp uppet.pdf
Now, before you glue your sock puppet on, here are some ideas for embellishments! Here is what you’ll need!
- Some rubber cement with a brush wand.
- Extra fine glitter to make your dragon even cooler. **Here’s why you’ll want to use Extra Fine Glitter!: This glitter goes on like paint. Once the glue dries, it is super hard to shake this glitter off of your project. **Find it in the scrapbook section of craft stores.
- Googly Eyes
- Red paper
- Adult Scissors
- Let the kids decorate their dragon template with crayons. This will give the glitter a nice back drop.
- Now, use the rubber cement brush to brush rubber cement over the dragon. You can choose to just do spots on the dragon, with glitter. You could do it all over, except for the eyes and design. You can do a stripe pattern. Get creative here.
- Sprinkle your Extra Fine Glitter on your rubber cement, and shake off the excess. Doesn’t that look awesome?!
Now to make your googly eyes into Red Dragon Eyes!
- An adult can cut a slit in the googly eye, just toward the back. Big enough to insert your teeny, tiny piece of paper.
- Cut a small round piece of paper. A little smaller than the eye.
- Insert it between the black pupil, and the white of the googly eye.
- You can seal the eye back with a little dab of glue.
- Glue these eyes over the paper eyes for a cool dragon eye!
Some Pictures to help assemble your puppet!
Here is what the instructions mean by letting the toes hang off! You should actually pull the sock, a little off of your hand, so the end of the sock is dangling.
Hot glue the dragon head, placing the eyeball area even with your finger joint, closest to you. Does that make sense? Well, Here is a picture, to help.
Bend The horns, a little, at the bottom – so they have a surface to glue to the sock.
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.Com – A site providing kid friendly crafts, recipes, and ideas. Plus if you happen to be in Connecticut, fun things to do with your kids are reviewed including pictures of the places!