A President’s Day Chocolate Pretzel – Abraham Lincoln – A Fun Food
It’s Abraham Lincoln on a pretzel! Abraham with an extra looooong beard! (We can always nickname him Amish Abe! ) I do love creating fun foods! But, I’m always cramming them in at the last second! Nothing like waiting until President’s Day weekend to think this one up! In my defense, Valentine’s Day is just before this one. So, that was taking up all of my thought process! Anyway, here it is! If anyone feels like a last minute fun food idea for President’s Day – I’ve got ya covered! Here’s the how to:
I only made one Abraham Lincoln this a.m. so the ingredients are for one – you’ll have to adjust them accordingly:
- Pretzel Rod
- About a dozen White Wilton Chocolate Melts
- 1 Orange Wilton Chocolate Melt
- Black gel frosting
- Oreo Cookies – Get yourself a few, just in case you have casualties
- Wax Paper on a flat working surface
OK, on to Honest Abe!
- First off, prepare your Oreo Cookies – Twist them apart and get rid of the center (eat it, if you have to:) )
- One will be cut for the hat – so saw one in half and then carve out the center to get a U shape
- Now, crush your leftover cookie parts – this will be hair, beard and the top of the hat – you might want to get another cookie, while your at it. You can never be too prepared when decorating chocolate. It drys fast!
- Now, melt your white and orange chocolate melts according to the package directions – we’re mixing them together to make a peachy skin tone for Abe
- Then take a butter knife or something similar and spread most of the chocolate onto the top 1/2 of the pretzel
- Set that onto the wax paper and get to work immediately
- Place your U shaped Oreo Cookie about 1&1/2 inches down from the top of the pretzel
- Sprinkle the crushed Oreo Cookie onto the top half of the hat. All the rest of the Oreo Cookie should be sprinkled below the hat bill and made to look like the picture above. Give Abe a long beard and some hair!
- Now use toothpicks to dip into the cream colored chocolate and dab a nose onto Abe’s face
- Use the same toothpick to dab eyes
- Use the black gel frosting to give Abe big bushy eyebrows and eyeballs!
- That’s It! Happy President’s Day!
- Poor Abe – He looks scared!
- I have one more creation I’ve thought up! It’s a cupcake Honest Abe. If it turns out, (they don’t always – refer to the story in the Good Stuff Diaries about the Ice Age Scrat gone bad!) I’ll post it on Monday!
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.Com – kid friendly crafts, fun foods, party ideas, and fun ideas for the whole family!