A Hot Air Balloon Cupcake Idea – A Fun Food – Kid Friendly Things To Do .com
Man, my kids were stalking this dessert! I used home made rice crispy treats to form the balloon, fruit roll-ups to cover the hot air balloon, and a cupcake baked in a sugar cone! Of course, they were drooling! I’m luck I was able to snap a picture before a someone took a bite out of the top of a balloon! LOL! Here’s what I did to make these fun foods!:
- Sugar Cones for the basket
- Cupcake mix
- Rice Crispy Treats – A regular size batch
- Fruit Roll Ups – Not the Fruit by the foot – I tried that, and they don’t work
**Helpful Note – if you want, you can use regular cupcakes and achieve the same look. I just used sugar cones because of their basket weave look. Regular cupcakes will be more stable with the weight on top.
- Bake the Cupcake Batter inside the sugar cone
- To keep the cones upright, I wrapped 2 sheets of foil around a deep dish pan and inserted to cones
- I’ve seen others use the foil pans and poke holes through them to hold the cones upright
- You should be able to get about 6 -8 hot air balloons out of a batch of rice crispy treats – I originally made mine huge and only got 4 out of the batch. They were top heavy and toppled over!
- Form a balloon – like a tear drop – out of the rice crispy treats
- Unwrap 2 of the fruit roll ups and wrap them around the balloon – trimming them to fit
- Trim the baked cupcake cones by using a sharp knife and a sawing motion – to about an inch – frost them, if you wish
- Insert 4 toothpicks into the cupcake and push the balloon onto the top of the toothpicks
- That’s it! You have a colorful balloon and a tasty treat!
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com – Fun foods, Party Ideas, Crafts, Recipes, and fun things to do with the whole family! Plus, lots of fun things to do in Connecticut are listed above!