How To Trim, and Prepare Brussels Sprouts For Roasting – Kid Friendly Things To Do .com
Posted by Melissa in Recipes, Sides, Tips | 0 comments
What a beautiful side for your holiday meals! If you’ve never cooked with Brussels Sprouts, I’ll add a few pictures to walk you through cutting, and preparing brussels sprouts! :
- You’ll need to handle each brussels sprout individually, but don’t be intimidated by that – it goes pretty fast
- First off, take a sharp knife, and trim the bottom of the sprout. Cut the bottom off to the base of the leaves
- Now, peel the loose leaves off of the brussels sprout, one by one
- You may find some leaves with holes like this one, just discard those, and keep going until you get to the firm, and “hole free” leaves
- Now, your recipe may say to halve, or quarter your sprouts
- For halving the sprout, simply cut the sprout in half from stem to the top leaf
- If you need to quarter them, take those halves, and cut each one down the center
- To be sure all critters have vacated the sprouts, soak the brussels sprout in a bowl of water for about 5 minutes
- Drain the water, and rinse one more time
- There you have it!
- You’re ready to roast your brussels sprouts!
- For this dish above, I tossed the prepared Brussels Sprouts, and fresh cranberries in olive oil, and sprinkled with salt & pepper. I then, roasted them on a baking sheet at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes!
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com