Shamrock Ice Cream Sandwiches
These Shamrock Ice Cream Sandwiches are such a fun treat for St. Patrick’s Day. Heck, they’d be a fun summer time dessert, too! Here’s what I did to make these fun and delicious sweet snacks:
My advice on this dessert would be to make it two – three days ahead of time, and break it up into easy stages. Make the dough and cookies on the first day. One day before you want to serve them, add the filling.
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar - packed
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 or 4 drops of green food coloring
- 1&3/4 cup of all-purpose flour - like Gold Medal
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- about 2 cups of ice cream
- In a medium bowl or mixer, combine the butter, sugars, egg yolk and food coloring
- In a smaller bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix well
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours
- When the dough is firm, lightly flour your surface - look at notes below for a tip
- Baking: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Roll the dough out into an oblong shape that measures about 9"x12"
- Use a Shamrock cookie cutter to cut out shapes and place the shapes onto ungreased cookie sheets (or sheets lined with parchment paper)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Let cool completely before transferring
- Let the ice cream warm up a bit at room temp. for about 10 minutes
- While that is warming - pop the cookies into the freezer to harden
- When everything is ready, scoop out about 4 Tbsp. per cookie and gently spread the top to even it out
- Gently press another cookie on top
- Place the cookie sandwiches on a tray that will fit into your freezer and put that in the freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight
- When you take the cookies out, you can trim any stray ice cream
- You can also wrap each sandwich in wax paper for the kids to eat from!
- *When rolling sticky dough, I like to place wax paper on my surface with a little bit of flour spread out
- *I also sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough, and place another sheet of wax paper on top before rolling. It makes life so much easier!
Don ‘t Miss a thing! Follow along with me to see more recipes, crafts, and fun things to do. 🙂