Rustic Sausage and Cheese Tortellini Soup Recipe
Finally! After several requests for another campfire soup recipes, the stars aligned and we made it happen! This Rustic Sausage and Cheese Storytelling Soup is one of our favorites! Everyone talked about it for days, and it got better tasting as a leftover! Yum. Come on in and I’ll share the recipe with you.
I can’t tell you how much my family looks forward to our campfire soups! There is just something about sitting around a fire and enjoying food right off of it! Of course, this can be made indoors on the stove, too. Just grab a large pot and fill ‘er up!
I’m going to give you my halved version of this recipe. It should still feed at least 8, but you won’t need a 12 qt. pot! Feel free to double the recipe for a large crowd of 12 or more, but prepare yourself with a giant soup pot!
Here’s the recipe for you:
- 1 lb. hot italian sausage with casing removed
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 24 oz. of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 (28 oz.) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1&1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 2 packages of refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 8 oz. of fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. of dried sweet basil
- 6 oz. of canned sliced mushrooms - drained
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Large pot (around 9 qt.)
- optional - shredded Parmesan cheese
- over med/high heat crumble sausage into the pot
- add the onion and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender
- Add the broth, water, tomatoes, and garlic
- Bring to a boil
- Add the tortellini, and bring back up to a boil
- Boil for about 5 minutes
- Reduce heat and add the spinach, basil and pepper
- Cook for a couple more minutes
- Serve with optional shredded Parmesan cheese
- You can double the recipe to feed a large crowd. You'll need a 12 qt. pot.
Here’s some stuff you might need or even want for this recipe:
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com