Red Velvet Cake Turtle Brownie Recipe Using Red Velvet Box Mix
Brownies are definitely a weakness for me. I can so no to ice cream. I can so no to cake. I can even say no to chocolate. But, stick a brownie in front of me, and it’s all over! I should have known better than to mix one of my favorite cakes with more faves like caramel, pecans, and chocolate to create a Red Velvet Turtle Brownie. What the heck was I thinking?! If you’re a glutton for punishment like I am, then come on in and I’ll share the recipe with ya.
Oh right! Then, I finished it off with ice cream and more caramel before digging in. Really?! That’s not gonna get the 10 pounds off.
You can’t see the delicious soft pecans, but they are there! Oh boy, are they there.
Here’s the delicious recipe:
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- 1 box of Red Velvet Cake Mix - I used Betty Crocker's with pudding in the mix
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter - softened
- 2/3 cup of evaporated milk
- 12 oz. of chocolate chips
- about 25-30 soft caramel squares - I started out with 30. Not all of them made it into the recipe
- 1/3 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of pecan halves or pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, add the entire box of cake mix, plus the softened butter and 2/3 cup of the milk
- Mix well
- You can grease a 9x13 baking pan or use parchment paper to line it. Either way, pour about 1/2 of the Red Velvet mixture into the pan
- Bake that for about 10 minutes
- While that is baking, grab a saucepan and over medium to med/high heat, add the 1/3 cup of milk and the caramels. Stir often while the caramels melt, then when the caramel is all mixed into the milk and smooth, remove from heat
- Pull the cake out of the oven
- To the warm cake, add chocolate chip, pecans, and caramel mixture
- Let that cool off so the caramel hardens
- Spread the remaining cake mix over everything
- Bake for an additional 18 to 20 minutes
- The cake mix will most likely still be a fudge brownie consistency and moist when done.
- Allow to cool or serve up warm with ice cream and more caramel
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this recipe: