Ramen Noodle Salad is the perfect side or salad to take to summer potlucks and barbecues. With crunchy noodles, vegetables, and tangy dressing, It’s full of taste and flavor. It’s always a big hit at every cookout.
Ramen Noodle Salad
Old-fashioned salad recipes are the best type. The kind that you took to potlucks and everybody enjoyed. Like this macaroni salad that is always a hit and this cold pasta salad. Who else grew up with a Ramen Noodle and Cabbage Salad Recipe? This is a salad that I have pigged out on time and time again. It’s a classic and to me, the old classic potluck recipes are still king. Recipes passed around at potlucks are the tried and true…the best.
What I Love About this Ramen Noodle Salad:
- This recipe is a tried and true recipe that has been in my family for years
- It’s tangy, sweet, crunchy, and full of flavor
- Ramen Noodle Salad makes a great side for picnics and BBQs
- It’s a classic side dish at any potluck
- Ramen Noodle Salad
- What I Love About this Ramen Noodle Salad:
- Make-Ahead and Storage:
- What Can I do with Ramen Noodles?
- Can You East Uncooked Ramen Noodles?
- Can Ramen Noodle Salad be a Main Dish?
- Is Ramen Noodle Salad Healthy?
- What Can I Add to my Ramen Noodle Salad?
- Tips and Tricks for making this recipe:
- What do you need to make Ramen Noodle Salad?
- How do you make Ramen Noodle Salad?
- Ramen Noodle and Cabbage Salad Recipe
Make-Ahead and Storage:
Ramen Noodle Salad is really best when served right away. You really want a crunchy effect from the noodles, and if the salad is left to soak up the dressing the noodles will soften
What Can I do with Ramen Noodles?
Ramen Noodles are really a type of pasta. They cook up quickly and can be used in most pasta dishes the same way you would use other shaped pasta.
They are also a great way to add crunch to recipes. Think of them like you’re adding nuts as a topping. Because they are easy to bite into and provide a great texture consider using ramen noodles in dessert dishes, or as an ice cream topping
Can You East Uncooked Ramen Noodles?
Yes! Ramen noodles can be inserted raw into a dish just about anywhere a nut would be added to a recipe. It would make an excellent crunchy topping for cobblers, warm puddings, or ice cream
Can Ramen Noodle Salad be a Main Dish?
Ramen Noodle Salad can quickly transform into the main dish if you add grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, grilled pork, or grilled steak
Is Ramen Noodle Salad Healthy?
Ramen Noodle salad has a variety of vegetables and nuts, which are a great source of protein. You can add several different vegetables like slivered carrots, and mandarin oranges in light syrup. You can also substitute olive oil for canola oil
What Can I Add to my Ramen Noodle Salad?
- sugar snap peas
- red onion
- mandarin oranges
- cooked chicken
- add cooked pork
- broccoli florets
- bell peppers
- sesame seeds
Tips and Tricks for making this recipe:
- Feel free to experiment with adding other ingredients to ramen noodles. This dressing is a sweet and tangy dressing that would go great with most raw vegetables and sweet fruits
- Do not add the dressing until you are almost ready to serve. The moisture will soften the noodles which is not really what you’re going for in this recipe
- Serve the same day. The noodles will moisten and go limp when stored. This salad is best served the day that you make it
What do you need to make Ramen Noodle Salad?
- shredded green and red cabbage – you can use a shredded cole slaw mix or broccoli slaw instead
- green onions
- salted sunflower seeds – the salt pairs well with the sweet and tangy dressing
- slivered almonds or walnuts – you can toast the nuts, but it is not necessary
- dry crunchy ramen noodles
- vegetable oil – you can use sesame oil instead
- rice vinegar
- granulated sugar
How do you make Ramen Noodle Salad?
- In a large bowl, mix shredded cabbage, green onions, nuts, and raisins
- Mix the dressing of oil, sugar, honey, and vinegar
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to coat
- Just before serving, add the Ramen Noodle bits and mix to coat
- Best if served immediately
Printable for Ramen Salad Recipe
Ramen Noodle and Cabbage Salad Recipe
- 6-8 cups shredded green cabbage (optional for color) make 2 of the cups of shredded cabbage from purple cabbage
- 3-4 green onions chopped
- ½ cup salted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup slivered almonds *you can substitute walnuts for almonds or add them in addition to almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-2 packages of dry Ramen Noodles – broken up into bits
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup Rice Vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, green onions, sunflower seeds, almonds, and raisins
- In another smaller bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, and honey. Whisk until everything has combined
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and mix until the salad is coated with dressing
- Just before serving, add the Ramen Noodle bits, and fold them into the salad
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com
adapted from – Heritage Quilters Cookbook