If you have apples, you’ll most likely have all of the ingredients to make this simple dessert. Picture a mouth-watering apple pie, then add drizzled glaze over the pie = Heaven! Try this Apple Slab Pie Recipe for dinner, tonight…
This Apple Slab Pie is a dessert I remember from my childhood. This apple dessert made an appearance at almost every summer picnic.
It’s a great recipe for a crowd.
What are the best apples for baking?
- The best baking apples are the ones that keep their shape. Here are a few varieties that are great for baking
- Granny Smith
- Golden Delicious
Why is my apple pie always runny?
- Make sure your apple pie recipe has a thickener like flour or cornstarch. Don’t forget that the juices will continue to thicken even after it is baked
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this Apple Slab Pie Recipe…
How do you make an Apple Slab Pie?
- Make sure you have pie dough ready. You’ll need enough for 2 9-inch crusts – roll one out and into the form of the sheet pan
- Place in the pan and spread out
- Toss peeled apple slices with lemon juice
- To the apples, add the sugar, flour, and cinnamon – mix to coat
- Pour the apple mixture and spread out over the crust
- Shape the second pie dough and place it over the top of the apples
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Prepare glaze and pour it over the top of the baked Apple Slab Pie
Here’s the handy dandy printable for this Apple Slab Pie Recipe:
Slab Apple Pie
- 6–7 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 T of lemon juice
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 t of cinnamon
- Pie dough – enough for 2 crusts and rolled thin
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 4–5 tsp. of water
- Baking sheet – a small one, around 9×13
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a small cookie sheet spread out one of the pie doughs
- In a large bowl, add the apple slices and lemon juice – toss together
- Add, sugar, flour and cinnamon – mix until apples are coated with the sugar mixture
- Spread the apple mixture over the pie dough
- Add the other rolled out pie dough crust to the top of the apple slices
- Bake for about 40 minutes
While the apple slices are baking, prepare your glaze
- In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar, and 1 tsp. of water at a time, stirring
- the glaze with each teaspoon of water, and stopping when the glaze is a thin frosting-like consistency
- When the Apple Slab Pie is baked and still warm from the oven, drizzle the glaze over them.
- Suggested Serving: Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Delicious!
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com