Haystack bowling is such a fun and easy way to get your friends and family into the spirit of fall. Not only is this a great fall game Fall Activity it’s a great activity for summer games to play at parties, too.
This is such an easy fall game to set up and provides hours of fun.
I set this up for my daughter’s sweet sixteen party last year and the kids had a blast. We also had a bouncy house, a hay bale sofa (I added photos of that at the bottom of the post) for an outdoor movie, and a lot of other activities. Because their birthdays are only one week apart, we combined my nine-year-old’s party and hers on the same day. With it being such a hectic day, I completely forgot to get photos of the kids playing it or a good vertical to share with you – for that matter.
It’s such a cinch to set up. You really don’t even need a visual, but I’ll try to explain it the best I can.
Top Amazon Links for this game
(affiliate link from Amazon)
Here’s what you’ll need to set up Haystack Bowling:
- Hay bales – I used 9 straw bales
- *you can use more if you want a longer alley
- Bowling pins – I’ll supply the Amazon link to the exact ones that I purchased
- Bowling ball or a pumpkin for bowling with
Here’s how to set up Hay Bowling:
- I lined up 2 parallel rows of hay bales about 4 ft. apart
- At the end of the parallel rows of hay, place another hay bale going in the opposite direction
- Set up the pins and set out the ball, and you are in business!
More Fall Games to Play
Hay Bale Sofa
Here’s the hay bale sofa that I made for our outdoor movie. I thought I’d throw this idea in just in case you want to recreate it for your party.
If you want to make one for your party…
- 15+ bales of hay
- fabric or blankets
- outdoor pillows
- optional: fall decorations
- Stack two bales of hay for the back rest – I wrapped them into a U shape and used 10 bales for the backrest
- Add 1 bale of hay in front of each stack of two
- So your guests don’t itch all night, add some blankets or cotton cloth as a barrier
- I decorated the back with some Dollar Store leaf garlands and added a Cracker Barrel Checkerboard and another hay bale for a coffee table