Easy to make Basketball Cupcakes that are the perfect March Madness Cupcakes for your get-together or your sports birthday party.
If you are looking for basketball cupcake ideas, then you are in the right place. I’ve had so much fun making these basketball theme cupcakes to share with you. These cupcakes are so easy to make, which leaves you plenty of time for the rest of your party preparation.
Are you looking for Sports Party Treat Ideas? Try some of my other post ideas that are fun and easy for your sports-themed party. You’ll love these Oreo Basketballs – Basketball Chocolate Covered Cookie or if soccer is your sport, check out these Soccer Party Ideas
Make-Ahead and Storage:
Cupcakes will stay fresh for 3-4 days after baking
Store cupcakes, covered, at room temperature. If you do not have a cupcake container with a lid, you can use toothpicks inserted into the top of the cupcakes to keep plastic wraps off of the cupcakes and still cover them for storage.
Yes. Frosted cupcakes, when covered and stored at room temperature should stay fresh for 3-4 days
I have been great results in adding black food coloring to chocolate frosting. Using already dark frosting aid in transforming the rich black frosting color. If you add it to the white frosting you’ll only get a gray color.
Perfect for basketball season or any season. Kids will love these fun cupcakes and you’ll love how easy they are to make.
Tips and tricks for these basketball-themed cupcakes:
- if you’d like to make black icing to decorate your cupcakes instead of brown chocolate, then simply add black food coloring to the chocolate frosting and mix in until you achieve a rich black-colored icing
- using a writing tip and a piping bag is the best way to draw lines on your cupcakes
- I used a boxed cake mix, but feel free to substitute your own cupcake recipe
Are you ready to make these fun cupcakes? Let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need…
- pre-made cupcakes in cupcake wrappers – Use any flavor you like. I used a vanilla cake mix for my basketball treats
- frosting – white vanilla icing or cream cheese frosting
- orange food coloring – you can achieve this by adding equal yellow and red drops of food coloring or using orange food coloring. Add these drops to white frosting and mix until you’ve gotten the color of frosting you would like
- chocolate frosting – this will be used to make the lines on the basketball cupcakes
- piping bag with a writing tip – this will be used to draw the lines on the basketball cupcakes to resemble basketballs
- suggested – toothpicks – toothpicks are a great tool in fixing any mistakes you might have on cupcakes. You can insert them right under a line, pick it up and move a line over
How do you decorate a basketball cupcake?
Making a basketball design is pretty simple. Frost your cupcakes with orange frosting. With brown (chocolate) frosting or black icing – use a writing tip to make a cross pattern over the orange frosting. Now, make a semi-circle on either side of the cross with the curved section pointing to the center of the cupcake.
- toothpicks suggested
- 1 piping bag with writing tip attached
- 18 pre-baked cupcakes in cupcake wrappers Use any flavor you like. I used a vanilla cake mix for my basketball treats
- 1 16 oz. white vanilla icing or cream cheese frosting
- 6-10 drops orange food coloring amount will vary. Add enough to get the orange color you like
- 1 16 oz. chocolate frosting you probably won't use all of this
- Allow baked cupcakes to cool
- Mix white frosting with orange food coloring until the color is a bright to dark orange coloring
- Spread orange frosting on your cooled cupcakes
- Place your chocolate (or black) icing in a piping bag with a writing tip
- use a writing tip to make a cross pattern over the orange frosting
- Now, make 2 semi-circles on either side of the cross with the curved section pointing to the center of the cupcake
Follow Me on Social Media
Cooking with Fun Facebook Page: Kid Friendly Things To Do
Join my Facebook Groups
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.Com