The holidays aren’t complete without some sort of sweet potato addition to the holiday meal. This Twice Baked Sweet Potato Recipe is the perfect side to your delicious dinner.
Twice Baked Sweet Potato:
Sweet potatoes have got to be one of my absolute favorite potatoes. I usually bake five or six at the beginning of the week and have them for breakfast or lunch throughout the week.
I had to update some really outdated recipe photos from years ago, so we had a pre-Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving dinner in September. These Twice Baked Candied Sweet Potatoes were the center of attention. Everyone loved them.
If you love sides at holiday meals as much as I do then you might like these…
Sweet Potato Casserole with Coconut, Orange and Pineapple
Sweet Potato Casserole with a pecan and coconut crumble
Grandma’s Famous Cranberry Salad
I think they’d be the perfect addition to your holiday meal.
Do you bake sweet potatoes the same way that you bake a regular potato?
- Sweet Potatoes are lighter than a baked potato. They are usually cooked at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to allow cooking throughout. Usually, once you smell the aroma of a sweet potato it is almost done. Use a fork to prick the potato. If it is tender then it is done
Is a Baked Sweet Potato as healthier than a regular Baked Potato?
- Sweet potatoes are packed with Vitamin A, B and C, iron and calcium.
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this Twice Baked Candied Sweet Potato Recipe…
Twice Baked Sweet Potato Boats with a Brown Sugar Crunch Topping
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 3 baked sweet potatoes
- 4 oz. of softened cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted softened butter
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg
- 1 cup of Honey Bunches of Oats cereal with or without almonds
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of chopped pecans
- Butter (about 2 Tbsp.)
- Set the oven to 400 degrees and bake the sweet potatoes for about 40 minutes
- When the potatoes have cooled, slice them in half and scoop out the inside, reserving the shells for later
- Place the cooked sweet potato in a large bowl, and add the cream cheese, sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg – Mix well
- Place the shells on a baking sheet, and fill each with the sweet potato mixture
- To crush your cereal, place the cereal in a zip-tight bag and crush it with a rolling pin or something heavy
- Add the sugar, and the pecans, and shake the bag to mix
- Spoon the topping onto each sweet potato boat
- Add a dollop of butter to each end of the boat
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes have warmed through and the topping is golden
*any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To warm them, reheat them in the microwave or in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until warmed through
- Serving Size: 6
~ Melissa – Kid Friendly Things To Do