This is one of those sweet potato casseroles that will keep your guests guessing and will definitely get several recipe requests. With the crunch of pecans, the sweetness of coconut and pineapple paired with the citrus flavor of orange juice – This Sweet Potato Casserole is definitely a recipe to save for the upcoming holidays.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crunch Topping
Thanksgiving dinner is not complete without some form of a sweet potato casserole.
Table of contents
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crunch Topping
- Here are my top Amazon Picks for this Recipe:
- How Long will Sweet Potato Casserole keep in the refrigerator?
- Can you freeze Sweet Potato Casserole?
- Are Yams and Sweet Potatoes the same?
- How do you make Sweet Potato Casserole?
- Here’s the printable recipe for you:
This casserole has the right amount of crunch and sweetness.
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this Recipe:
How Long will Sweet Potato Casserole keep in the refrigerator?
- Sweet Potato Casserole should be stored in an airtight container or wrapped and stored in the refrigerator. It can be stored for up to five days.
Can you freeze Sweet Potato Casserole?
- You can freeze sweet potato casserole for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight and bake it before serving again.
Are Yams and Sweet Potatoes the same?
- Yams and Sweet Potatoes are not the same. Yams have white flesh while sweet potatoes have orange flesh. The outside skin is also different. The yam skin is like brown tree bark and the sweet potato skin is pinkish in color. Yams are more starchy and dry than sweet potato.
How do you make Sweet Potato Casserole?
- Bake the sweet potatoes to soften the flesh
- Scoop the sweet potato flesh into a large bowl
- Add the crushed pineapple that has been drained, 2 large eggs that have been beaten, sour cream, orange peel, orange juice, melted butter and vanilla extract
- Pour into a greased casserole dish
- Mix coconut, pecans, brown sugar, flour and melted butter
- Sprinkle over the top of the sweet potato casserole
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes
Here’s the printable recipe for you:
Sweet Potato, Orange, and Pineapple Crunch Casserole
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes baked until flesh is tender – instructions on baking your sweet potato are below
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 8 oz. crushed pineapple drained
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp. orange peel grated
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar – packed
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup melted butter
Baking your sweet potatoes:
- I like to cut a slit in the top of my potatoes
- Place them on a baking sheet
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes or until potato is tender
- To check this, insert a fork. If the fork easily goes all the way through the flesh, it’s probably tender enough
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cool baked sweet potatoes, slice open and scoop out the sweet potato
- Transfer scooped out sweet potato to a large bowl
- Mash the sweet potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients
- Mix the topping ingredients together until crumbly
- Place the casserole mixture into a greased 13×9 baking dish, and sprinkle the topping mixture over the top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes