Phew, my kids were stalking the gravy and chicken. I wasn’t sure I would have enough for a picture! But, here it is – Chicken A La King in a biscuit! Here’s the recipe:
You’ll Need: For, 4 generous portions
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 cup of sliced green pepper
- 4 oz. mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of white cooking wine
- 3 chicken breasts – seasoned with a little salt and pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 more T of butter
- 1 T flour
- 1/2 t salt
- ground pepper
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1 can of Pillsbury refrigerated buttery biscuits
Now, on to the yumminess:
- Bake the biscuits according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, Using a large skillet, saute the vegetables in the Tablespoon of butter, over medium heat.
- In another skillet, add the white wine, chicken breasts, and bay leaves
- Cook over medium/high heat until the wine comes to a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer for about 15 minutes – turning chicken mid-way. Wine will evaporate, but you should have some brown cooked down wine in your skillet. That’s the good, yummy, cooked down stuff! Leave it. You’ll add water to it, in a bit!
- While the chicken is cooking, add 1 T of butter (over medium/high heat) to the cooked vegetables, immediately add flour to the melted butter and mix in to make a paste
- Add the milk, and chicken broth, salt, and some ground pepper thinning the paste, and distribute throughout the vegetables.
- The wine should be cooked down in the other skillet. Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan and stir, getting all of the good stuff from the bottom of the pan – remove the bay leaves
- Cube the chicken breasts. Poor the chicken and juices into the gravy mixture – Cook until it’s thickened. If you want it a little thicker – use a cup to mix 1 T of flour to 1 T of milk and add to your gravy. Cook the mixture until it thickens to your liking.
- Add 1/2 cup of sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- To serve – open the biscuits up and pour the chicken mixture over the biscuits
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com – crafts, recipes, fun foods, party ideas, and fun things to do with your family