What is it about sour cream this week? In honor of apparently, “sour cream week”, I’m rolling out a Chicken Enchilada with Sour Cream Cheese Sauce Recipe. You are going to love it…
When we go out to a Mexican Restaurant, my absolute favorite food to get…besides the chips and salsa, is the Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce. I’ve always wanted to make them at home. Finally, the stars aligned. I had all of the ingredients, just the right recipe, and a soccer free night…a miracle in itself.
If you clicked over from Pinterest, (thank you) the images might look a little different. You are in the right place. These are updated pictures. The old images are at the bottom of the post.
You won’t find any Cream of Chicken Soup in this enchilada. The sauce is made from scratch…
and poured over chicken stuffed tortilla rolls.
The reward of making the “easy” from scratch sauce is pretty amazing.
Just look at that sauce.
If you like Mexican Food like this recipe, then you might like these similar recipes:
Tips for Add-Ins to this Enchilada Recipe:
- Try ground beef or shredded roast beef
- Add black beans
- Try rotisserie chicken
- Add cubed roma tomatoes to the sauce or on top of the enchiladas
- Cilantro always pairs well with any Mexican recipe
Here are my Top Amazon Picks for this Chicken Enchilada with Sour Cream Sauce Recipe…
Here’s a quick Video to get you started with this yummy Chicken Enchilada Recipe.
Chicken Enchiladas With Sour Cream White Sauce
Delicious and Easy Chicken Enchiladas with sour cream sauce.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- 4 cups of cooked chicken breast – shredded or cubed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 10–12 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1&1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1&1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- optional – Chopped tomatoes, avocado, green onion, and jalapeno
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, chili powder, garlic salt and cumin. Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the flour and broth until smooth
- Bring it to a boil, and cook for about 2 minutes
- Remove from heat, and let it cool off for a few minutes
- Stir in the sour cream and 1 cup of the cheese – stir until cheese is melted
- Pour the sauce over the enchiladas
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top
- Bake, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until its bubbling
- Top with your choice of toppings – optional ideas above
Great toppings for these enchiladas are:
- avocado slices
- diced tomatoes
- Spanish rice
- Cilantro rice
- refried beans
- black beans
- sour cream
- tomato salsa
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com