Here’s an idea for President’s Day cupcakes. A fun President’s Day party treat. Such a cute cartoon cupcake version of Honest Abe.
- Baked vanilla cupcakes – don’t put too much batter in these cupcake liners. You don’t want a muffin top, this time. Baked until tops are golden and firm
- Chocolate Frosting
- Black Food Coloring
- Pastry Bag with a star tip
- Candy Eyes
- Oreo Cookies
- Brown Wilton chocolate melts – melted in a bowl, according to package directions
- Fancy Cupcake wrappers with strong material to hold the weight of the cookie inside – like the picture below:
Now, onto Abraham Lincoln:
- First off, prepare the Oreo Cookies by twisting them apart and scraping the creamy center off of the brown cookie
- Now, take a sharp kitchen knife and saw off just a little bit of 2 opposites sides – making a rectangular shape
- Trim the top and bottom into a straight edge
- Now, using the melted chocolate glue the rectangular shape onto the circular piece of the Oreo Cooke – about 1/3 of the way in
- You can use something to prop the tall piece up while it dries and sets for you
- Now mix the chocolate frosting and the black food coloring together to get a nice black color for his beard
- Place the frosting into the prepared pastry bag with a star tip, and pipe frosting all around the edge of the cupcake into a U shape for Lincoln’s beard **When the frosting dries from sitting out for a minute, gently push the points from the star tips down
- If you want to give him a pointy beard, just keep adding rows of stars at the bottom of the beard to – 3 stars, then 2 under that, and finally 1 point at the end ( sort of like this nutcracker cupcake, above 🙂 )
- Use a little frosting as glue for the eyes and add eyebrows and a mouth with the frosting
- Now, Abraham Lincoln had a pronounced nose. And in order to make the nose three-dimensional and flesh tone to match the face – here’s what I did
- I used another baked cupcake to cut a steep triangle out of. I cut the triangle from the top of the cupcake
- Then I placed it on the Cupcake face with frosting
- Add a dab of frosting to the top of your cupcake – where the hat will rest. This will help hold the hat in place
- I inserted the hat into the top of the cupcake so Abraham would have his classic tall hat! – Make sure you go down far enough so the top part of the hat has some cupcake to rest on, or it will be top heavy!
- That’s It! Enjoy your day off, today!
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.Com – fun foods, party treats, kid crafts, recipes, and fun things to do with the whole family!