Make-Ahead and Storage:
Can I make Watermelon Ice Cream ahead of time?
Yes! This ice cream is better if you make it at least twenty-four hours in advance
How long does homemade ice cream last in the freezer?
Homemade ice cream can last up to two weeks in the freezer
Storage: Store homemade ice cream in a sealed container in the freezer
Can I store this watermelon ice cream in the rind?
Yes – for a certain amount of time. After a couple of days, I would transfer the ice cream to an air-tight freezer-proof container for storage in the freezer
How do I find a Sweet Watermelon?
- find one that is uniform in shape. It can be round or oval, just not irregular
- look for a super heavy watermelon. This means it has more water content and is probably more sweet
- find a field spot, which is a round white, brown, or yellow spot on the watermelon is something to look for. Find one that is darker in color – either yellow or brown. That means it has been on the vine longer and is sweeter
- go for large webbing – a large spider-like web on the watermelon is a sign of it leaking sweetness which is a good sign
- find a watermelon dull in color and shine – The more shine means it’s still too young