This pie is a delicious custard-filled pie that is easy to make. Creamy, sweet, and comforting, this Classic Buttermilk Pie is the perfect dessert for any meal.
Classic Buttermilk Pie
Aside from buttermilk, you most likely have the ingredients for this buttermilk pie already sitting right in your kitchen. If you just can’t wait until you purchase buttermilk, you can easily make buttermilk with a couple of simple ingredients.
How do you make buttermilk?
- Simply mix 1 cup of milk (with 2% or higher fat content) with 1 Tbsp. of lemon juice. Let is sit and thicken up for about 5 minutes. Pour it into your recipe with curdled bits and all
What is the difference between Chess Pie and Buttermilk?
- Both pies are very similar. Chess pie typically has cornmeal in the filling while buttermilk pie usually has some zesty ingredient (such as buttermilk) and vanilla.
What is buttermilk pie made of?
- Buttermilk pie is made of butter, flour, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, salt, and sugar
How long will buttermilk pie last?
- Buttermilk should be covered and refrigerated. It can last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- To serve warm pie, place a slice in the microwave for about 30 seconds
How do you make Buttermilk Pie?
Make the filling:
beat the butter and sugar together. Add eggs, whisk, beat in vanilla. Mix dry ingredients together and add them to the egg batter.
Bake and Cool:
Pour batter into a 9-inch uncooked pie shell, bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 40 minutes. Let the pie cool for about 2 hours. It should continue to set up as it cools and the crust will cool enough to slice into without crumbling.
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this pie:
Try these other pie recipes:
Classic Buttermilk Pie Recipe | Kid Friendly Things To Do
Creamy, sweet buttermilk pie recipe
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. of flour
- 3 eggs – beaten
- 1/8 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 deep dish pie shell – 9-inch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter together
- Add eggs, whisk
- Then, add vanilla and mix in
- Pour into pie shell and bake for 10 minutes
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees, and bake for 40 more minutes
- *buttermilk pie should be golden brown on top and knife inserted should come out clean
- Allow pie to cool for about 2 hours
- Best when served warm
*pie will continue to set up as it cools
Storing your pie:
- Any leftover pie should be covered and placed in the refrigerator for up to 3 days