Here’s another appetizer idea for your Holiday Gatherings. This Spinach Phyllo Appetizer can be made ahead and frozen – great time saver
Spinach Phyllo Appetizer Bites
Are you looking for appetizer recipes? Try some of my other delicious appetizers, like:
- Taco Ring Bites
- Grape Jelly and Chili Sauce Meatballs
- Cream Cheese and Mushroom Rye Bread Appetizers
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 small chopped sweet onion
- 2 eggs
- 16 oz. of crumbled feta cheese (you can substitute another cheese if you don’t like feta’s strong flavor – ricotta or goat cheese would be delicious and mild! In fact, I think I’ll substitute ricotta or goat cheese, next time!) If you use an alternate cheese, let me know how it turned out. Please, click and leave a comment.
- 1 package of frozen chopped spinach (10 oz.) thawed and drained – squeeze excess water out
- 1 t of dried basil – or – 2 T of fresh basil leaves chopped fine
- (optional) 1/4 cup of peeled pine nuts
- A Dash or two of nutmeg
- salt and ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 package of frozen phyllo dough – thawed ( I found mine in the freezer section, next to the frozen biscuit dough and pastries)
- 3 T of melted butter
Now, on to the spinach and cheese bites!:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Start out by heating the oil in a skillet and cook, stirring the onion until it is translucent – about 10 minutes
- Beat your eggs in a medium size bowl, add the cheese, drained spinach, basil, optional nuts, nutmeg salt and pepper
- Open a package of phyllo dough & unroll it and set it next to your work surface & set out your melted butter and brush
- Place one sheet down and brush melted butter over it – this keeps it soft and workable & the kids can join in, here! They think they’re painting!
- Add another sheet and butter this one
- Add one more sheet and butter that one, as well
- Now, scoop out about 1/3 of your spinach/cheese mixture and spread it out on one end of the roll – leave about an inch of phyllo border on both sides of the spinach
- Fold the sides of the phyllo over the spinach mixture, and continue the fold all the way down the phyllo
- Now, start rolling the phyllo up and over the spinach and keep going into a log all rolled up!
- Slice some of the phyllo on top
- Make 2 more logs the same way
- HERE’S Where you STOP if you want to freeze the appetizer! Just put the logs, each rolled in wax paper, and place in a zip tight bag for the freezer – when you are ready, let it thaw for 10 minutes before you bake it!
- When you are ready to bake these yummy rolls, just place them on a baking sheet and pop into the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes
- Let them cool for a few minutes before you slice and serve! 🙂 Enjoy!
~Melissa – kidfriendlythingstodo.com –