Skip the drive-thru and give our version of the famous minty milkshake a try. This Homemade McDonald’s Copycat Shamrock Shake Recipe tastes very similar to McDonald’s original shake and is perfect for those times you get a craving for a Shamrock Shake and the shake machine is down at McDonald’s or they run out of the mix.
Both have happened to us. The last time that we rolled up to the drive-thru at McDonald’s they told us they ran out of Shamrock Shake Mix. Thank goodness this Copy-Cat Shamrock Shake Recipe is easy to make and quenches our craving for a while.
This is the time of year that the kids and I scope out the McDonald’s menu to see if the Shamrock Shake has made its return. If we are lucky enough to see the Mint Green shake, it’s a happy day. It’s one of life’s little pleasures. When it’s still too early, we have our own version.
The McDonald’s Shamrock Shake has been around ever since I can remember. I have memories of being in the back of our red station wagon and seeing the mint green shake on the McDonald’s intercom display.
I’m so glad that it has lasted through so many generations. My kids absolutely love the shake. After Christmas peppermint flavored everything has passed, they start asking about the Shamrock Shake at McDonald’s. Luckily I have a homemade version to tide them over.
If you love Homemade Milkshakes (and who doesn’t?), check out these delicious and easy recipes…
Chocolate Chip Milkshake Recipe
Maraschino Cherry and Vanilla Milkshake Recipe
Delicious Pumpkin Spice Milkshake Recipe
Table of contents
Everyone except my older son. He hates mint-flavored anything. Can you believe that? Oh well…more for us.
It’s so easy to make. I’m happy to oblige. Really…5 Minutes, and done. You’ve gotta love that.
Usually at the end of February. Look for them starting Monday of the last full week of February.
Usually, they start serving the shake at the end of February until St. Patrick’s Day which is March 17
Tips and Tricks
- Use mint extract instead of peppermint extract
- use 2% milk or whole milk in this recipe
- Use as much food coloring as you need to get the color that you like. The more you use, the darker the shake will be. I like to use less food coloring so it has a mint color
- Add chocolate chips for a fun chocolate surprise
- Oreo cookies give this shake a delicious flavor, too
- Coffee is a great compliment to the milk flavor in this shake
- Irish Cream is a great way to turn this kid-friendly milkshake into an adult drink
Here are my Top Amazon Picks for this Amazing McDonald’s Copycat Shamrock Shake Recipe…
Here’s a quick Video of McDonalds Shamrock Shake Recipe…
- 1 blender
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk 2% or whole
- 1 tsp. mint extract
- ¼ tsp. green food coloring
- whipped topping
- green sprinkles
- maraschino cherry
- In a blender, blend the ice cream, milk, mint, and green food coloring until smooth
- Garnish with whipped cream, sprinkles, and cherry – enjoy.