These mason jars are easily transformed into drinking glasses. You can adapt the colors for anything. I used Red, White, and Blue for all of the summer holidays. The kids love to use them as everyday glasses. And, I love the fact that there is a tight lid to prevent spills. Here’s what I did to make these cute holiday drinking cups:
Patriotic DIY Mason Jar Drinking Cups
Are you looking for summer picnic ideas? Try some of my other posts, like:
- Mason Jars
- Felt – Red, White, and Blue if you are using these for Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day
- A hole punch
- Glue – I used Fabri-Tac (it’s expensive, but lasts quite a while. It sticks right away, and is waterproof!)
- A Marker
On to the instructions:
- I used the lid of the mason jar to give me a roundabout idea ( no pun intended 🙂 )of the size fabric to cut out
- I cut a square of felt a little larger than the size of the lid
- Then I used a hole punch to make a hole for the straw in the flat part of the lid – I should really brush up on my Mason Jar Vocabulary. I apologize. 🙂
- I then placed my square of fabric over the lid with the hole and marked with my marker the spot over the hole
- I used sharp scissors to poke a hole in the fabric over the marked piece and expanded the hole by cutting little slits in a star shape to fit the hole punch circle
- I then glued the fabric, matching the hole up, to the flat piece of the lid
- You can probably eliminate this step, and just trim the fabric to match the flat lid. But, I placed the lid on the jar to get the crease of a circle in the felt. I unscrewed the lid, and using the crease as a guide I trimmed the felt.
- That’s it. Put it all together, and pop a straw in the hole punch piece!
- If you want to add the little stars – I found a foil star garland at the dollar store and cut the stars off to add a little more patriotic flare!
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com – fun foods, party ideas, recipes, crafts, and fun things to do with your family!