Just in time for Mother’s Day, but perfect for spring and summer too! A simple to make Flower craft for kids. I love simple! You probably even have most of the supplies at home for this fun craft. Come on in and I’ll show you what you need and how to make this adorable craft.:
I love taking shortcuts in crafting to make life a little easier, so I used some petals from some old silk flowers as the petals. It’s so much easier than having the kids cut out individual petals. They look so cute, too!
Here’s What You’ll Need For This Egg Carton Flower Craft:
- An old paper egg carton cut into individual pieces
- Paint – Yellow, Orange or both
- *you could go one of 2 ways with the paint…let the kids paint the carton pieces or do some prep work ahead and spray paint the egg carton pieces in one big easy swoop!
- Silk flower petals – I used petals from some silk daisies I had purchased at Michael’s Craft store, but you can find silk flowers at the Dollar Tree, too! You can get about 4-5 Egg Carton flowers completed with one store bought daisy.
- Paper straws – I like to use fun green paper straws with stripes and polka dots
- Green foam sheet
- Glue – I would use…Either a warm glue gun and glue sticks or Fabri-Tac which is a wonderful alternative. It sets super quick and holds just about anything together
- A skewer, or Something similar to poke a hole in the paper egg carton (scissors would work)
Extra Supplies Needed:
- wax paper
Now, onto the fun!
- *If I were prepping this craft for a class project with young kids, I would probably spray paint the egg carton pieces ahead of time and poke the holes in the bottom of them. I would also go ahead and cut the petals off of the silk flowers. Depending on the age of the kids, I might even cut out the leaves for the kids from the foam sheets. Just adjust all of the prep work according to the kid’s ages. Older kids can pretty much do all of the steps on their own. You get the gist!
- With that said…
- You’ll want to first paint the egg carton pieces for the center of the flower, and let those dry
- If you’re using the old paint brush technique, then you can use wax paper to set the wet egg cartons on. It helps to protect the egg carton center from stuff that might stick to it, and from the paint sticking to other surfaces. It’s a win-win!
- When your carton pieces have dried and are ready to become a flower
- If you haven’t already, poke a hole in the bottom of the egg carton piece
- Glue silk petals all around the outside of the egg carton piece
- Push a straw up into the hole you poked. You might have to wiggle it in there with a little force. You can add a dab of glue to secure it
- Glue the foam leaves onto the paper straw
- And that’s it! Voila’ You have beautiful, sweet flowers from egg cartons and paper straws to enjoy all summer long!
Happy Mother’s Day, spring, summer and everyday!
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this Flower Craft:
[box] [/bo[box] [/box] x]