These Heart Shaped Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ladybugs are from a post that I did a few years back. I thought they would make a fun Valentine’s Day treat, so I made them again. I took a million pictures, and I’d love to share them with you, today. Come on in, and I’ll show you how you can make them for yourself.
Heart Shaped Strawberry Ladybugs
What kind of Chocolate can you use for dipping strawberries?
You can use a few different types of chocolate.
I like to use melting chocolate wafers (you can find these in the cake decorating aisles), because it hardens so quickly – (within a minute or two at room temperature). In my opinion, it’s easier to work with, but you might not like the taste of white chocolate. (My oldest daughter can’t stand the taste.)
You can also use chocolate chips. Keep in mind that Milk Chocolate will stay somewhat soft and will take a little bit longer to set up (harden). Putting it in the refrigerator to cool speeds up the process.
Baking chocolate is another one that is similar to the melting chocolate (find it in the baking aisle). It will set up easier and will harden better.
*With the last two types of chocolate – you’ll want to temper your chocolate which is super easy. Just set a few hardened pieces aside – straight from the bag – and stir them into the melted chocolate. It cools it slightly.
For these yummy and fun treats, you’ll need:
- 16 oz. of Fresh Strawberries
- About 4 oz. of black chocolate melts
- Dehydrated marshmallows – Kraft makes some called Marshmallow Bits
Extra Stuff You’ll Need:
(in no certain order)
- Wax paper
- A toothpick with a flat end on one side
- Knife – for cutting the strawberry
- Small microwaveable proof bowl – glass
- Paper towel
These are so simple to make. You can whip them up in a snap, and the kids can help with decorating! Don’t forget to watch the video below for more help.
Are you ready? Here’s a quick video to show you how I made these Valentine’s Day Treats…
- First off, rinse and dry your strawberries. Just dry them off with a paper towel
- Then, cut the leaves off with a straight cut
- Now, cut a V out of the straight end you just cut
- You should have a cute little heart strawberry
- You could just stop there, because the heart strawberries are pretty cute by themselves…but then you’d miss all of the cuteness of the love bugs!
- So, grab your wax paper and cut a piece off for your strawberries to sit on
- Pour about 4 oz. of chocolate melts into a small microwaveable proof bowl. Pop it into the microwave for 1 minute, stir and (if needed) microwave it for 30 more seconds, stir until smooth
- The chocolate sets up really fast, so You’ll want to do this one at a time:
- Dip the tips of the strawberries into the chocolate
- I don’t know why I decided to sit them on the cut end, but I just went with that. You can set them down flat. Whatever floats your boat
- Before the chocolate dries, add 2 dehydrated marshmallows for the eyes
- Repeat with all of your strawberries
- Now…for the black spots and eyeballs – Use the flat end of the toothpick to dip into the melted chocolate (continued below…)
- With your chocolate covered toothpick, add little black dots to the marshmallow eyes and to the body of the ladybug strawberry. 🙂
That’s it. Easy Peasy. These would also be cute for a Fairy Garden Party!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this Heart Shaped Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ladybugs for a Fun Food Treat:
~Melissa – Kid Friendly Things To Do