Here is a Lorax idea for you to try out. Make these truffula crayons from recycled crayons. Then, if you want to add The Lorax as a finishing touch, try this simple Lorax Craft.
Crayon Truffula Trees
Here’s What You’ll Need:
For The Crayons:
Unwrapped crayon pieces of assorted colors
Hot Glue & Hot Glue Gun
Instructions For The Crayons:
- Heat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Place cupcake wrappers inside the cupcake tin. Double them up. I forgot how the wax leaks through the paper.
- If you want to keep your trees all one color, then put all of your pink shades in one wrapper, blue shades in another, and so on. (If you want a mixture of colors, then you can do that to. I made a cool yellow, orange, and red volcano crayon for my son. You just have to be careful to have a steady hand as you pull these out of the oven, so the melted wax does not mix together.)
- Place the cupcake tin into the oven for about 20 minutes. Crayons should be melted by then.
- Carefully pull the melted crayons out, and set them somewhere to cool.
- Now, grab a clothespin, and place it on the wooden dowel – about an inch up.
- Add a dab of hot glue to the clothespin, and set the dowel down into the center of the melted wax crayon. The hot glue should secure to the wrapper to help hold the clothespin in place. You might need to do some adjusting, or add more glue to help secure the dowel.
- Once you’ve put dowels in each crayon, just wait about 30 minutes, and they should be dry enough to pull the wrapper and clothespin off.
- You have a truffula tree crayon! 🙂
For The Lorax:
Googly Eyes with eyelids – I found a bag of assorted eyes in Michaels Craft Store.
Orange and Yellow Chenille Stems – legs, arms, mustache, and eyebrows. Try to get the fluffy ones.
Tiny white pom-pom for the nose
- Spray adhesive all over the Styrofoam egg. It’s sticky stuff. Prepare to have glue and glitter on your hands for a while!
- Shake the orange glitter all over the egg. Add more adhesive spray if you have bare spots, and then shake glitter again.
- Hot glue the eyes.
- Hot glue a white pom-pom for the nose.
- Cut 4 one-inch pieces of orange, and insert them into the sides and bottom of the egg. These are arms and legs.
- Cut 2 two-inch pieces of yellow for the mustache. Insert them below the nose, and shape them to look like a mustache.
- Cut 1/2 inch pieces of yellow for eyebrows. Insert these above the eyes, and shape.
- Insert the wooden dowel into the bottom of the egg. ( I was in a huge hurry to get this done, and wish I had put the legs closer together so it looks as if The Lorax is standing on the dowel as he stands on the tree stump – in the book. It will bother me until I fix it, but for now, I can only give you the idea
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com