I bet you’re thinking that the only crafts I do are Minions! Well…lately, yes! That’s pretty much all I’ve concentrated on. But, I promise, I’m going to let my brain switch gears, and move on to life outiside of Minions after this one. I have to tell you, I love this little Minion in a Jar! He’s sitting on my window sill by my kitchen sink. The kids love it too! They love making sand art. It’s a perfect craft for a Minion birthday party! Kids can play with sand, and take home their own personal Minion in a Jar for their bedside table! Here’s the how to for ya:
- 1/2 pint Mason Jars with silver lids
- white felt sheets
- brown foam sheets
- wiggle eyes – 40 mm
- Glue – Fabri Tac glue is preferred
- Black Nylon Strap – about 1 inch wide
- Black Sharpie
- Black Hemp Cord for crafting (about 1 mm.)
- Yellow Craft Sand – about 1/2-3/4 cup per jar
- Blue Craft Sand – about 1/4 cup per jar
- For each jar –
- Start out by tracing around the eyeball onto the brown foam
- Cut the foam circle out
- Turn the wiggle eye over, and cut the back off – or mostly off
- Insert the brown foam circle as a new back!
- Now, you have a brown wiggle eye!
* It’s up to you, if you want to assemble the goggle, and eye in advance. For small children, I would highly recommend it! They can have fun pouring the sand in, gluing the lid on, and hanging the goggle over the jar. Plenty of fun – less stress for you!
- grab your black cord, and fold it around one side of the mason jar lid – glue to secure
- Once the glue has set a little – it only takes a couple of seconds – hold the lid as you tightly wrap the cord around the back of the jar, and then, while the strap is nice and tight, glue the other end of the cord around the opposite side of the mason jar lid
- If you pulled the cord tight enough – The lid should be nice and snug like the image above
- Now, slide the lid off, and grab your white felt
- trace the lid around the white felt
- Glue the felt onto the back of the lid
- Place your wiggle eye that you made brown earlier on top of the white felt
- You’re ready to fill the jar with sand!
- Fill the bottom with a little bit of blue, and the rest of the way up with yellow
- Using Fabri-Tac glue, glue the flat part of the Mason Jar lid – give the glue a minute to really get tacky
- Cut (2) 3 inch pieces of hemp cord, and fold them in half
- Glue them to the flat lid of the mason jar
- Place the goggle you made earlier onto the jar
- Use a sharpie to draw a mouth
- You’re done!
Here is some equipment you might need or even want for this craft:
Don’t forget to come hang out with me in my social places!
Thanks for stopping in!
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com