This plastic cup Leprechaun Hat is so cute. Just look at that shiny, sparkly glitter. I can definitely see this as a great activity for the classroom on St. Patrick’s Day or as a beautiful decoration for the house. They’re simple to do. Come on in and I’ll show you how to make a Plastic Cup Leprechaun Hat for a St. Patrick’s Day Activity or Decoration…
Plastic Cup Leprechaun Hat – A St. Patrick’s Day Craft
Look at all of that glorious glitter.
Here’s a quick video to show you how to make this fun and simple activity for St. Patrick’s Day…
Here are my Top Amazon Picks for this Leprechaun Hat Activity…
Here are the supplies needed and instructions for this Leprechaun Hat, St. Patrick’s Day Craft and Decoration…
- Clear solo cups – I used tall ones ( I think they are the 12 oz. size)
- Spray Adhesive
- Green Glitter
- Ribbon for the strap – about 24 inches
- Green Foam Paper
- Low temp glue gun and glue sticks – or – Fabri-Tac glue (my favorite instant stick glue)
- Yellow Felt cut into a 3/4-inch wide strip
- Gold Glitter paper – cut into a 1-inch square
- First, spray the inside of the entire cup with spray adhesive
- Sprinkle a generous amount of glitter into the bottom of the cup
- Set a piece of foam over the mouth of the cup. Holding the cup and foam together, shake the glitter around the cup until it covers the inside.
- You can repeat with more spray and glitter in places that aren’t quite green enough
- **An adult may want to do this part of the process – this adhesive spray is super sticky and gives off strong fumes
If you are making the hat ONLY as a decoration, then you can skip the hole punch and the ribbon part of this craft…
- Using a lot of muscle, use a hole punch to punch 2 holes into either side of the solo cup for the ribbon
- Fix any parts of the cup that lost glitter in the process by spraying more glue and adding glitter
- Slide the ribbon through the holes with both ends pulled down on either side of the cup
- Now turn the cup upside down onto your green foam and using a marker outline the outside of the cup
- Cut this circle out of the foam and glue it onto the opening of the cup with hot glue
- Place the cup upside down and cut an inch wide strip of yellow felt. Place it around the bottom of the hat
- Cut a little 1″x 1″ square of gold glitter paper and hot glue to the yellow strip
- Glue the strip around the cup (just above the ridges)
- Add the gold square
A super easy version for the classroom:
- Substitute clear cups for green paper cups in the Paper Goods party section of the Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart, or a Party Store
- You won’t need to add the green foam to the bottom of the cup, because you won’t have any glitter inside
- Use self-adhesive felt and glitter paper for the yellow decorations
- No gluing required! 🙂
What do Leprechauns do on St. Patrick’s Day?
They are mischevious and play jokes on people. They usually leave a mess behind. You’ll know it’s them because they will leave something green or some rainbow candy.
What happens if I catch a Leprechaun?
You can barter with them for their freedom. They can grant up to three wishes.
Why do people pinch on St. Patrick’s Day?
If you don’t wear green, it’s considered rude, and you’ll most likely get pinched. It’s also a reminder of the chaos Leprechauns can cause and you need to promptly find some green to put on.
So, why do you need to wear green on St. Patrick’s Day?
Apparently wearing green makes you invisible to the Leprechauns. It also keeps people from pinching you.
~Melissa – Kid Friendly Things To Do