The perfect comfort food on a cold night. Dig into Ham and Beans Soup served with your favorite cornbread recipe. This soup recipe is so quick and easy, it is sure to become a staple recipe in your kitchen. Come on in and I’ll share the recipe with you…
Ham & Bean Soup…
My mom used to spend the day cooking dry Great Northern Beans for this Ham and Beans soup. I really enjoyed those beans, and appreciate the time that went into that dinner. I, however, use canned Great Northern Beans, and this dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes. Sorry, mom. This recipe is only slightly adapted from the recipe my mom used to make, but still incredibly delicious and quick. This is the perfect recipe for the leftover holiday ham.
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this Soup Recipe…
How do you thicken Ham and Beans Soup?
- Cook the beans and ham for a long time until the starch from the beans thicken the soup, or use a shortcut and add a small mixture of flour and water to the soup.
Can you freeze Ham and Beans Soup?
- Freeze fully cooked Ham and Beans Soup in an airtight freezer bag for up to 3 months. Simple warm in a soup pot and serve with your favorite cornbread.
How do you make Ham and Beans Soup?
- Add beans and water to a soup pot
- Add ham steak
- Bring the pot to a boil, turn down to simmer and add a lid
- Simmer for about 45 minutes
- Take the ham steak out, cut the ham into edible chunks and place back into the soup
- Serve with cornbread
Here’s the recipe for this warm your heart & soul, comfort food, soup:Print
Ham and Beans Soup
This is the kind of soup winters are made of! Delicious,comfort food soup.
- 3 cans of Great Northern Beans
- + 3 cans of water (about 6 cups)
- Fully Cooked Ham Steak with bone in
- 1/2 tsp. of ground pepper
- In a large pot over the stove, add the beans, water, and ham – I empty the beans out, fill the cans with water, and dump the water into the pot – my lazy way of avoiding getting one more item out of the cupboard 🙂
- Set the heat to high, and get it boiling, turn the heat down to simmer
- Simmer for about 30-45 minutes – the liquid should thicken up a bit
- Take the ham steak out and cut it up, place it back into the beans
- Just a couple of minutes before serving – add the ground pepper, and stir in
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with your favorite cornbread recipe
~ Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com