This is a great project for a Spring craft or Easter. It will go perfectly in an Easter Tree. It is really, really simple for you or the kids to try out. So, here’s what you’ll need for each nest:
Paper Mache Paste – Here’s a great recipe
- 1 Cup of bleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 Cups of water, cold or warm
- 1/2 Cup of white school glue
- Pinch of salt
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk Measuring cup
Just mix everything together until it forms a syrup like texture
- A small bowl for a nest mold- make sure it’s just the size you want your nest to be. If you want to do a big nest for life sized birds, you could use a regular table bowl. That would be a fun project! I might have to do that, too!
Now, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Place enough of your Spanish Moss in the bowl to cover the edges, and leave a cushion bottom for the birds.
- Try to push the center down to look like a bowl. Don’t worry is moss is sticking up, and out – you can trim that later.
- Apply your Paper Mache paste to the Spanish Moss. Make sure you put enough on that it will go through the layers of moss – all the way to the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- If there is too much, and the paste is sitting on the bottom of the bowl – gently invert the bowl to let the nest drop down onto any surface, clean out the paste, and set the moss nest back in place to dry.
- Let dry for a day or two.
- Trim any wild looking moss off the top.
- You’re done!
- Add some cute little birds, and maybe even a butterfly or dragonfly 🙂
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.Com