This is a great project for a Spring craft or Easter. It will go perfectly in an Easter Tree. It’s an easy craft for you or the kids to try out.
Paper Mache Paste – Here’s a great recipe
- 1 Cup of bleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups of water, cold or warm
- 1/2 Cup of white school glue
- Pinch of salt
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk Measuring cup
Just mix everything together until it forms a syrup-like texture
- A small bowl for a nest mold- make sure it’s just the size you want your nest to be. If you want to do a big nest for life-sized birds, you could use a regular table bowl. That would be a fun project! I might have to do that, too!
Now, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Place enough of your Spanish Moss in the bowl to cover the edges, and leave a cushioned bottom for the birds.
- Try to push the center down to look like a bowl. Don’t worry if moss is sticking up, and out – you can trim that later.
- Apply your Paper Mache paste to the Spanish Moss. Make sure you put enough on that it will go through the layers of moss – all the way to the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- If it is too much, and the paste is sitting on the bottom of the bowl – gently invert the bowl to let the nest drop down onto any surface, clean out the paste, and set the moss nest back in place to dry.
- Let dry for a day or two.
- Trim any wild-looking moss off the top.
- You’re done!
- Add some cute little birds, and maybe even a butterfly or dragonfly 🙂
~Melissa – KidFriendlyThingsToDo.Com