Mashed Butternut Squash Recipe – A delicious recipe. Easy to make. Perfect for a fall side and holiday dinners with friends and family.
Mashed Butternut Squash Recipe
- Recently my Sister-In-Law had us over for dinner. She made this delicious Mashed Butternut Squash in a way I’ve never had before. I knew I was not leaving there without that recipe.
Are you looking for fall sides recipes? Try some of these other recipes…
Here are my top picks from Amazon for this recipe…
Here’s your handy dandy printable:Print
Mashed Butternut Squash
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar – divided
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter – divided
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- Split the squash in half, and scoop the seeds out
- Place the 2 halves of squash with open cavities facing up, into a shallow baking dish
- Add, 1 T of brown sugar, and 1 T of butter into each cavity of the squash.
- Pour a little bit of the chicken broth into the cavities of the squash (amount will vary depending on the size of your squash, but 2-3 Tbsp. in each cavity should do the trick)
- Add the rest of the broth to the bottom of the baking dish
- Cover with foil, and bake at 400 degrees, for about 40 minutes, or until squash is fork-tender.
- Remove from oven, transfer the squash to a work surface to scoop out the cooked flesh, removing it from the outer skin
- Place the cooked squash into a large bowl
- Add the juices (broth) from the baking dish
- Mash the squash incorporating the broth in the pan with the squash
- Add the cinnamon and salt, mix in
- Serve, and enjoy!
- *In response to a question – Put only enough broth in the cavity to partially fill it. You don’t want the broth spilling out and taking the butter and sugar with it. You only want enough, so that it soaks into the flesh along with the butter and the sugar. Yum!
- Serving Size: 8