I love a good Skillet Breakfast. Combine a skillet breakfast made campfire style and it’s irresistible to me and the whole family. I mean, seriously, hash browns with melted cheese, ham, eggs, and green peppers…This Make Ahead Western Skillet Campfire Breakfast is the best campfire breakfast ever! I can’t wait to share it with you. Come on in to get the recipe for this Cowboy style Campfire Breakfast:
Western Skillet Hash Brown Casserole Campfire Breakfast
This makes a good amount. Enough for the whole family. If you have leftovers, that’s even better. Just warm this up the next day. Easy Peasy!
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this campfire recipe:
Here is a quick movie to show you how I made this Campfire Breakfast Casserole…
Western Skillet Campfire Scramble
Delicious make ahead camping breakfast
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 30 oz. of frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 cup of diced ham (about 8 thick slices of ham) – I bought a pre-sliced boneless ham and used the extra for sandwiches
- 1 diced large bell pepper
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tsp. of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of ground black pepper
- 9x13 Foil Cake Pan
- In a large bowl, mix the hashbrowns, diced ham, and green pepper, and cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, water, onion powder, salt, pepper
- Add the egg mixture to the hashbrown mixture and mix together
- Spray a 9×13 foil cake pan with non-stick spray
- Pour everything into the cake pan and cover with foil
- *You can store this in a cooler or refrigerator for a couple of days
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium heat and cook over the flame for about 40-45 minutes or until the egg is cooked through
- *If the top of your hash has water from the frozen hashbrowns, then take the foil top off and cook an additional 10-15 minutes until water has evaporated
Excess water on top of the hash
- If this happens, it is due to having the foil cover on. Water is trapped and settles on top. Take the foil cover off and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until water has evaporated
Not all grills cook the same…
- *Be sure to adjust cooking placement on your grill. If the flame is burning the bottom of your breakfast, move the pan to indirect heat and close the grill cover. Move the hash breakfast around as needed.
Alternative cooking methods
- Can cook on coals – just place the cake pan over medium coals and cook for the same length of time as mentioned above. Move around the grill several times during cooking to ensure even cooking
- Bake in Oven – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, place foil pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes. Take foil off and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until eggs and hash browns are cooked through.
Do you still need Camping Recipes for Breakfast? Check out these recipes below…
Easy Make Ahead Pancakes for Camping
This Post Has 7 Comments
This is for grilling do you have any idea how long and at what temp to cook it for in oven?
Sure. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In an oven, you’ll want to place the foil pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
This is a great idea!! I’m definitely going to try this at my camping trip in a few weeks. Instead of putting it all together in the pan, and then trying to not spill it, I have cracked/scrambled/seasoned eggs and then put the mixture in a Gatorade bottle (it has a wide opening) and then just pour as needed.
Hello! How many people would you guess one pan would feed? Thank you!
Hi there! The Hashbrown Casserole should serve 8.
Can I cook this in the oven at home, freeze it and take on the camping trip? Thaw and put in the fire to warm? Or would it get chewy?
Personally, I have not frozen the casserole, but technically it should be the perfect candidate for freezing. You can either freeze it before cooking, and at your campsite, thaw completely then cook as directed. Or – Cook it most of the way – remove it 10 minutes prior to being finished. Let it cool completely, wrap and freeze. When you are camping, let it thaw completely before cooking it. Cook for about 30 minutes, ensuring the eggs are cooked and it is heated through before eating. Enjoy and let us know how it went. 🙂