This is such a fun game to play with the family. I think it’s the perfect game for all ages. Kids, Teens and Adults have a blast competing in this family friendly game. Come on in and I’ll show you how to play the Spoons Card Game for your next family fun night or teen event…
When I was growing up, our family played a lot of fun card games. Those were the days of spontaneous visits from friends. When, friends would just show up after dinner to visit and catch up.
I remember Rook being a family favorite, and of course the Spoons Card Game!
I remember how competitive I was. It was a little glimpse into my growing competitive nature.
Fast forward decades later and I have no problem taking my kids out in a game of laser tag, relay race or a friendly game of spoons! It’s so bad.
Here’s what you’ll need to play Spoons Card Game…
- 6 or more players
- 1 deck of cards
- spoons – 1 less spoon for the amount of people playing
- *If 10 people are playing you’ll need 9 spoons. If 6 people are playing, you’ll need 5 spoons. If 8 people are playing, you’ll need 7 spoons and so on…
Here’s a quick video to show you how we play spoons…
So How Do You Play a Spoons Card Game?
- Players should gather around in a circle. Ideally, you’ll have a round table for everyone to sit at. If not, the floor works just fine.
- Shuffle the deck of cards and give 4 to each player
- Put the remaining cards in the middle of the table as a draw pile
- Choose a leader
- The leader should choose a card from the draw pile and decide if they want to keep it or pass it on
- The leader should pass on one card from their hand (leaving them with 4 in their hand) to the person on the right
- That person then decides which card to get rid of and then pass one to the player on their right
- The last person, before the leader will just discard a card into a discard pile in the center of the table
- Play continues in a pretty fast pace with cards being passed from player to player in a circle
- When one player matches 4 cards and has 4 of a kind in their hand, they should secretly grab a spoon from the center of the table (Don’t announce it like my child did in the video)
- Those that notice it should also grab a spoon
- Once players catch on they will all start scrambling to grab a spoon
- The one player that is too slow to react, will sadly be without a spoon and lose the game
- Reshuffle the cards and let the person that lost the game act as the leader and play again and again