I’m really excited to share this recipe with you all. This delicious 7 Layer dip is always a crowd favorite. This Seven Layer Dip Recipe is the best! It is one that was passed down from a friend of my mom’s. Perfect for backyard barbecues, or holiday parties like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.
The Best Seven Layer Dip
My friend’s mom used to bring this seven-layer dip to church functions. It’s so nice to have this recipe to remember her by, and today I’d like to share it with you all.
With avocados, sour cream, and cheese – this dip is the flavor trifecta.
How Long will a Seven-layer Dip last in the refrigerator?
This 7 Layer dip can last up to 4 days in the refrigerator. To make this dip last to its absolute longest limit, my advice would be to let your tomato juices soak into a paper towel before transferring them to the dip. The less moisture you have from your toppings, the longer this dip will last.
How do you Store a 7 Layer Dip?
Cover and refrigerate your dip for up to 4 days.
What are some good toppings for this dip?
You can substitute any topping for your favorite or add more for more than seven layers. Here are some topping ideas…
- shredded cheese
- sliced black olives
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped onion
- cubed avocado
- black beans – drained
- fajita veggies
- sour cream
- Mexican rice
- pico de gallo
- salsa verde
Tips and tricks for making a seven-layer dip:
- do use lemon juice or lime juice when making your avocado layer – this will help preserve the green of the avocado
- use a paper towel to absorb tomato juice from fresh cut tomatoes before adding them to the dip
- personalize this dip – feel free to mix and match layers with ideas mentioned above
- this dip is best when made the day of your party
- cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
Are you ready to make this delicious 7 layer dip? Let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need:
- 1 (16 oz.) can of refried beans – I use the less fat version
- lemon juice
- horseradish sauce
- sour cream
- taco seasoning
- green onions
- black olives
- shredded cheddar cheese
How do you make a Seven-Layer dip?
- spread the refried beans
- mix mashed avocado, lemon juice, horseradish, and sour cream
- spread the avocado mixture over the refried beans
- mix sour cream, mayo, and taco seasoning
- spread the taco seasoning mixture
- layer green onions, tomatoes, olives, and cheese on top
Other dip recipes you might enjoy:
- cream cheese and salsa dip – only 2 ingredients!
- the best taco dip
- pizza crescent roll ring
- Grape Jelly and Chili Sauce Meatballs
- Chilli’s Copy Cat Salsa – so easy to make!
Finally, here’s the printable recipe:Print
Seven Layer Mexican Dip
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: none
- Total Time: 39 minute
- Yield: feeds a crowd
- 1 large can of refried beans
- 3 avocados
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 2 cups of sour cream – divided
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can of black olives sliced
- 1 (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- Spread the refried beans on the bottom of your serving dish
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocados and mix in the salt, lemon juice, horseradish, and 1 cup of sour cream
- Spread the avocado mixture on top of the beans
- In another bowl, mix the remaining cup of sour cream, mayonnaise, and taco seasoning
- Spread that on top of the avocado mixture
- To that, add a layer of green onions, tomatoes, and olives
- Finally, top it all off with the shredded cheese
- You can cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
- cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days